Tuesday

The wake up call

I got a wake up call back in January 2008. Not by my phone, but by my chest. I started getting these awful sharp pains & then decided I should do something about my weight (as it was probably that which was causing them), but I did not know where to start.

A few days later I was playing spider solitaire on my new laptop & there was a programme about being overweight on TV in the background which attracted my attention. I don't remember exactly what caught my attention, but it made me do a search on the internet & I stumbled across a website called Weight Loss Resources. I signed up for a free 24 hour trial thinking I had nothing to loose & this best be a good site. I eagerly awaited an email with confirmation & followed the links. I entered my login details into the login page & entered the site.

There was lots of information, tools to use & articles to read. I remember thinking how on earth would I be able to take in all this information in 24 hours without having to stay up all nite & bunk off work the next day. I filled in my information as best as I could including my weight, height, age, sex, etc. Then it asked for a goal weight. I had never thought of a weight at which I wanted to be I just wanted to be thin. So I searched around on the internet for an ideal weight chart & decided I wanted to be at the bottom end of healthy about 9.5 stone. I typed this information into the site. Then I had to decide how much to loose each week. I wanted to loose as much as I could as quickly as I could, but the site would only allow me to loose 2lbs a week, so I choose that. Then I worked out my activity level & clicked save. I looked at the summary at the top of the page & it said i'd be at my goal weight by December 2008. I felt a lil down by that statistic, but thought about it & then realised that, that wasn't so bad afterall as it had taken me 27 years to get to the size & weight I was & only 1 year to get back down! Here begins my journey....

Next I clicked on the food tab. It brought me to a food diary page. I read the information on what to do & set about entering what I had eaten for the day. I found out I had eaten way over the calories I should of eaten & was shocked. I didn't even eat breakfast at the time so lunch & dinner came in at something around 2500 cals. It wasn't that I ate unhealthy food as I rarely eat take aways, it was just that I ate too much & had no control over portion size. After I had entered all the food I skimmed the other areas of the site, read a few stories from people who had lost weight on the site, then stumbled across the forum. WoW! I remember thinking I'm going to love it here! I read a few of the posts on the forum until it was time for bed.

Here ends my wake up call & I'm happy to report I have not had any chest pains since.

No comments: